Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Toasted Coconut


Until recently, I regarded coconut as something that you topped a cream pie with.  I have changed my tune, thanks to my good friend who grew up in Hawaii:  fresh coconut is a wonderful treat that can be used as both a sweet or savory topping.
Preheat oven to 325-350.
To prepare, spread fresh coconut onto a baking sheet, preferably on top of a silpat or parchment paper.
Try to spread the shreds evenly for more consistent toasting.  Toast for approximately 10 to 12 minutes, but watch carefully as it tends to brown quickly at the end.  I removed the baking sheet once and mixed the shreds around to improve the toasting.
Remove from oven when lightly toasted.  I separated part of the coconut for use as a topping for berries.
I sprayed the remainder with a very small application of olive oil spray, just enough for salt to contact.
I lightly dusted a very small amount of fine popcorn salt over the batch, then tossed.  Store in a sealed container once it has cooled.

This is wonderful as a salad topping.  If you haven't tried coconut as a savory addition to appetizers or salads, you will be pleasantly surprised.  I am looking forward to combining this with some almond meal in the food processor as a coating for fish.  It is splendid used as an appetizer to top cheese & crackers, or as a stand-alone treat.  Try some!  

Coconut is a wonderful, low-carb, high fiber food item.  One cup of shredded coconut has 12 grams of carbohydrate and 7.5 grams of fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment