Saturday, April 10, 2010

"Blue-Deviled Eggs"

Deviled eggs are so yummy, easy, and quick to make. They are also low-carb/high protein.
I get out of the habit, but I really like having a few of these handy in the fridge. They are great for a "snack attack".
I wash out those little trays that sushi comes in and save them for my deviled eggs, as they are the perfect size and shape for them.
sorry this is not properly oriented.

Ingredients:
hard-boiled eggs
Toni's cajun seasoning
hot sauce
mayo
Blue cheese
smoked paprika



Hard boil eggs. They are best if you begin with eggs in room-temperature water, then slowly bring them to a boil. After cooking the eggs, remove them immediately from the hot water and place them in ice water. This will prevent discoloring of the yolks. After the eggs are completely chilled peel the shells and cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks into a bowl. Add other ingredients to taste. I add enough mayo to bind the other ingredients. Crumble the blue cheese and mash it into the mixture with a fork. (I'm not giving you exact ingredients because I think these can be tailored to your personal taste).
I would caution adding salt, and go easy on the cajun seasoning because the blue cheese adds a salty flavor. After the yolk-mixture is creamy spoon dollops back into the egg whites. Sprinkle additional smoked paprika onto the finished eggs for color and flavor. Serve immediately, or cover and chill. Eggs will keep for a day or two in the refrigerator. Be sure that you keep deviled eggs well-chilled on the table. Some people set a serving tray into another tray containing ice to assure they remain chilled.

BTW: these eggs look a bit different. The yolks are incredibly orange-colored because they are fresh farm eggs. They are hard-boiled, it just doesn't look like it!

Another point: I used a smoky blue cheese called "Moody Blue" blue cheese. The smoky flavor adds something extra to the taste.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten all about deviled eggs; thanks for reminding me! I'm going to have to cook some up as an after-school snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a perfect snack, and they can be flavored in so many different ways. Another idea is to boil the eggs but only make a few deviled eggs at a time, thus keeping them very fresh.

    ReplyDelete