Monday, July 29, 2013

Lemon Basil Ice Cream

I rarely eat dessert, but I do love ice cream.  So, I decided to search for the best recipe for what I thought would be a winning combination of flavors.  Lemon Basil.  I found a basic custard recipe on-line from all recipes.com.  Ingredients are 1 cup of heavy cream, 3 cups of half n'half, 8 egg yolks, 1 cup white sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. I am using a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker, where you have to freeze the cylinder for a couple of days ahead of time.  I began with separating the eggs into a large bowl.

8 eggs, and you could save the whites to make an omelet for breakfast

Add one cup of sugar and salt

Mix with spoon, and it will be thick.  Set aside.  I admit, that I started with a smaller bowl, and soon realized that it wasn't big enough, because I would have to add the warm cream mixture to it.  So, start with a large bowl.

In a saucepan add the one cup heavy whipping cream and the three cups of half n'half.

Flame on Medium Low, you do not want this to boil, but to simmer, using a whisk to stir.   When simmered, slowly pour about 1/2 cup of hot cream mixture into egg yolk mixture, whisking as you go.  When you have added all of the cream to the egg mixture, return all of the contents to the saucepan to cook on the stove, with the same Medium Low heat.  You want a nice slow simmer, whisking constantly.  When you can coat the back of a spoon with the contents.  This is the custard base of the ice cream.  At this point you can add other ingredients to make what you desire.

I used about 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil, and about a teaspoon of lemon zest.  I also added a teaspoon each of vanilla extract and lemon extract.

So, I mixed in the remaining ingredients, careful to not let it boil, did the spoon test, and turned off the heat.  I poured the ice cream base into a 8 cup glass measuring bowl and let it cool for 20 minutes.  When cool, place in the refrigerator overnight (I put it in for 6 hours).  When ready, pour it into an ice cram maker, and turn it on.  The Cuisinart ice cream maker takes about 20 minutes.  Remove from ice cream maker, pack into covered container, and freeze for 2 hours before serving.


   But, if was my best attempt at making really good ice cream!  It was frozen, creamy and delicious.  I served it with simple butter waffle cookies.  It makes about 8 cups.  Now I want to come up with some new combinations!

No comments:

Post a Comment