Monday, July 8, 2013

Asiago Cheese, Polenta and Mushroom Pie

My friend Michele Muska sent me this book as a get well wish, for when I had an ankle replacement earlier this year.  Her pie is on the cover.  The book is "Where Women Cook: pie ography."  by Jo Packham.  The basis of my recipe was from Page 42 "Tomato & Caramelized Onion Pie.  I can't eat tomatoes, so I improvised a bit.

One sweet onion, chopped

about 3T of olive oil in a pan, add onions and cook, till the onions are golden.  To caramelize, add a teaspoon of sugar and a tad of butter, and stir.

Cooked Polenta (the entire package) from Trader Jose, and a bag of Crimini mushrooms

Have you seen this butter in stores?  Tuscan style.  I use it in very small quantities, for added flavor

Asiago cheese, grate, or chop up into small pieces and set aside


Using a potato masher, mash the polenta, add a touch of water, and microwave it about 1 minute, then check to see how it is sofening up. You want it sort of soft.

To the onions, add the Crimini mushrooms and sautee

Yum, chopped garlic, all ready to go.  I used about a tablespoon

And instead of using a pie dish, I used a 9x13 glass pan.  I sprayed the bottom of the pan with PAM olive oil spray.  Line the bottom of the pan with the Polenta

Mushrooms and onions, and I added a few strips of pre-cooked bacon that I chopped up.  You can leave this out, if you are going for a vegetarian dish

Add the onions and mushroom mixture to the top of the polenta

Then spoon the Asiago cheese on the top

Cook in the oven at 400 for about 25-30 minutes.  Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. I've been Reading thru my copy of Pieography and this recipe is one I want to try!

    ReplyDelete