Friday, September 30, 2011

One Skillet Fajitas


We love to eat fajitas.  They are easy to make, tasty, and you can add whatever you want to them!
Tonight I decided to try cooking everything in one skillet on a portable gas burner fueled with butane.  This one-burner set-up is actually intended for use as a steamer for dyed fabric, but that is another story.
I took my supplies outside and set the burner on our wrought iron patio table.

Using a large, cast-iron skillet I preheated it on the burner before adding 2 Tablespoons of grapeseed oil to the skillet.
First, I sauteed some squash blossoms.  Why squash blossoms?  Because I had some!

Next up were several pre-roasted Hatch chilies.  I simply sauteed them long enough to heat through.

These were removed to a serving dish and put into a warm oven until serving.
Next, I put a piece of marinated skirt steak into the hot pan, allowing it to cook until the meat was caramelized so it would release from the skillet, then turned and cooked the other side.  Because the skirt steak was so thick on one end I placed it in a 450 degree oven for about 5 minutes to finish it before slicing into thin strips.

The other accompaniments to the meal were some arugula, shredded cheese, sliced avocados, and salsa.  Frozen corn tortillas were quick heated in the skillet to warm them through.
Delicious, and super-simple!  Try it!

PS-fajitas can be made with steak, chicken, fish, and an assortment of sauteed veggies.  If serving a large group, simple place all the ingredients on the counter or table, buffet-style, and allow people to "build" whatever type fajita they prefer.  I normally include sauteed onions but I was so spontaneous I didn't take the time to cut one up!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yummy. Love seeing the visuals of this dinner. This has given me great inspiration to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete