Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rhubarb (as my mother cooked it) and Mango Lassi: 2 simple summer desserts

I'm still in the kitchen, but have been forgetful about photographing what I'm cooking.  I apologize in advance that I do not have images to accompany this post.
This evening for dessert I served small portions of both rhubarb and mango lassi.

The garden of my childhood had rhubarb.  Many people dislike it because it can be quite tart.  Others associate it in a pie, all by itself or combined with strawberries.  My mother prepared and served it very simply and everyone in my own family loves it this way:
8-10 stalks rhurbarb, minimum, washed and chopped into 1 inch segments
sugar or sugar substitute

Place the chopped rhubarb in a pan along with the sweetener of your choice.  More sweetener or sugar may be added during the cooking, so add to taste.  I didn't list an exact amount, but keep in mind rhubarb is very tart.

As the saucepan heats the rhubarb will begin to sweat, then disintegrate into a mush that resembles porridge.  Once this has occurred, check for sweetness and allow to cool.

Cooked rhubarb may be served with a dollop of creme fraiche or milk.
----------------------------------------------
Mango Lassi

Mango Lassi is a popular Indian drink.  It is best when prepared with fresh mangoes and a high quality yogurt.

Wash and skin 2 ripe mangoes.  Slice the mangoes into thick strips.  The size and shape of the slices does not matter. Place them in a blender.
Add 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt.
Blend until smooth, then add about 1 cup ice cubes and blend until these are dissolved into small shards.
Add sugar or sweetener to taste.  Ripe mangoes are very sweet so you won't need much, if any.

Serve immediately.

Another idea is to place the blended mango mixture in popsicle molds and freeze.

Very tasty and healthful!  I hope you enjoy these summer treats.  Let me know if you try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment